Friday, March 4, 2011

Been Here a Week Today

We arrived in Nauvoo a week ago today.  We're pretty well settled in.  It is spring here today.  It is 10 a.m. and 55 degrees.  I have the back door open and there are so many birds singing in the backyard. I just heard one I didn't recognize and got up to look.  It was a bluejay; not the kind we have at home but the one you see in pictures; really blue with a peak (comb?) on the top of his head.  I've learned to recognize the cardinals song and we see them everyday now.  The squirrels are running all over too.  Things are waking up.  I put a bird feeder outside our window and a chickadee came to it this morning.  I told President Kirkham I would like to serve a couple of days a week with NRI (Nauvoo Restoration Inc.) weeding, and planting.  He said they are going to need people to do that soon. 

The corn bugs are thriving, especially in the upper floor of our home.  I kill at least twenty every day.  I don't know if its just the time of year or if we will always have them, or even where they're coming from.  They're easy to catch but I'm sick of them. 

Poppa is serving in the blacksmith shop today and I am going to the cultural hall.  I served in the Brigham Young Home two days this week.  I am so impressed by the faith that these people had to follow the prophet and leave their homes here to head West.  There's a line in Rendezvous (the nightly program in the Cultural Hall) that says "The Lord has provided for our rescue.  Our safety lies in the Rocky Mountains".  Joseph Smith and Brigham Young knew through revelation where to take the people so they would be safe from the mobs.  We have a living prophet today who guides us through revelation and we can be safe from the confusing and sometimes dangerous influences around us if we follow his direction.  What a blessing that is for us.  Love you all.  Be good.  We miss you.  Grandma Jann

1 comment:

  1. I can tell you are already starting to find yourself intoxicated by the midwestern beauty -- I can still hear the liquid, curling calls of the cardinals that sat outside our doors when we lived in Iowa.

    ReplyDelete